Time Commitment: 8-12 hours per week; Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm (hours negotiable)
Duration: Can coincide with college semester (15-week internship, start and end dates flexible)
Salary: Unpaid, but can be used for college credit
Work Location: 2353 Rice St., Suite 240, Roseville, MN 55113 Most work will be done remotely. In-person work is dependent on COVID-19 situation.
Reports to: Laymu Paw, Program Manager, and Suzanne Olive, Volunteer Coordinator
Our Family Assisters and New Arrival Services teams help clients with access to health care, applications for public benefits, secondary resettlement support, and other services. The human services intern will provide support to Family Assisters and Youth & Family Coaches with these services.
Key responsibilities include:
Shadow KOM Family Assisters and Youth & Family Coaches in the following activities…
- Connect clients with community services such as medical care, mental health services, child care, school enrollment, public assistance, and other programs
- Complete intake and assessment forms to determine clients’ eligibility for services
- Provide walk-in services (currently on-call services) for refugees to address needs including translation/interpreting, completing paperwork, and contacting other agencies for referrals and follow-up
- Currently studying sociology or human services.
- Ability to speak, read, and write fluently in English, and one or more of the following languages: Sgaw Karen, Pwo Karen, Karenni, Burmese, or Thai.
- Ability to work remotely (access to internet, very responsive via email and phone, willing to learn Microsoft Office 365 and other computer programs)
This position offers an excellent opportunity to learn about refugee resettlement issues and the broad network of services available to refugees in Minnesota. The human services intern will gain experience in case management, interpreting/translating, and client advocacy while helping refugees from Burma access resources to meet their needs and become independent.
Please fill out our online volunteer and intern application on our website and chose Human Services as your area of interest. Attach your résumé in the space provided on the online application. You can also submit a résumé to: Suzanne Olive, Volunteer Coordinator
Address: Karen Organization of Minnesota
2353 Rice St., Suite 240
Roseville, MN 55113