Time Commitment: 8-12 hours per week; Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm (hours negotiable)
Duration: Can coincide with college semester (12-15 week internship, start and end dates flexible)
Salary: $13 per hour; can be used for college credit
Work Location: 2353 Rice St., Suite 240, Roseville, MN 55113 Work will be hybrid done remotely and in-person, with COVID-19 safety precautions in place.
Reports to: Laymu John, Program Manager, and Suzanne Olive, Volunteer Coordinator
The human services intern will work with our New Arrival Programs, Elders Program, and Caregivers Program. The intern will support KOM’s social service programs by helping with workshops, client follow-up, outreach, and serving clients.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assist program staff with preparing for educational workshops, including recruiting and following up with participants, and researching content
- Support program outreach activities and events
- Help program staff lead workshops when appropriate
- Connect clients with community resources
- Provide walk-in services (currently on-call services) for refugees to address needs including translation/interpreting, completing paperwork, and contacting other agencies for referrals and follow-up
- Currently studying sociology or human services.
- Ability to speak, read, and write fluently in English and S’gaw Karen. Ability to speak one or more of the following languages is a plus: Pwo Karen, Karenni, Burmese, or Thai.
- Ability to work remotely (access to internet, very responsive via email and phone, willing to learn Microsoft Office 365 and other computer programs)
This position offers an excellent opportunity to learn about refugee resettlement issues and the broad network of services available to refugees in Minnesota. The human services intern will gain experience in case management, social service program support, interpreting/translating, and client advocacy while helping refugees from Burma access resources to meet their needs and become independent.
Please fill out our online volunteer and intern application on our website and chose Human Services as your area of interest. Attach your résumé in the space provided on the online application. You can also submit a résumé to: Suzanne Olive, Volunteer Coordinator
Address: Karen Organization of Minnesota
2353 Rice St., Suite 240
Roseville, MN 55113