Duration: 3-4 month internship; May, 2021 – Aug, 2021 (start and end dates flexible)
Time Commitment: 8-12 hours per week; Monday-Friday 8:30am-5:00pm (hours negotiable)
Work Location: 2353 Rice St., Suite 240, Roseville, MN 55113 (KOM Office); Most work will be done remotely. In-person work is dependent on COVID-19 situation.
Salary: Unpaid, but can be used for college credit
Reports to: Suzanne Olive, Volunteer Coordinator, and Alexis Walstad, Co-Executive Director
KOM is looking for two Communications Interns. One position will focus on design and social media, and one position will focus on article writing. The Communications Interns will work closely with the Volunteer Coordinator and Co-Executive Director to increase awareness and support of refugees from Burma through the Karen Organization of Minnesota (KOM). This position offers the opportunity to acquire skills in several areas of communications and media.
Design and Social Media position:
- Draft posts for KOM’s social media accounts (Facebook and Instagram)
- Photograph community events and KOM activities (and take videos when appropriate)
- Collaborate with the other Communications Intern on graphic design elements for written content
- Design flyers and other materials for program recruitment
- Update photos and media on KOM’s website as needed
- Assist with promotion of events
- Draft monthly newsletter content in English
- Collect stories from KOM clients to illustrate the impact of its programs (interview staff, clients and others to gather stories for the newsletter that highlight KOM’s programs, mission, values or services).
- Meet with staff to update information on KOM’s website as needed (new staff, program changes, etc.)
- Assist with promotion of events
*Most work will be done remotely. In-person work is dependent on COVID-19 situation.
The ideal candidates for this position will have an interest in communications, graphic design, and/or journalism, and serving refugees from Burma in Minnesota.
- Experience using and/or managing social media pages on Facebook and Instagram
- Some graphic design experience (Canva preferred, or other similar design platforms)
- Previous experience interviewing and writing content for school or an organization is beneficial
- Proficiency using Microsoft 365 (Outlook, Teams, SharePoint), MailChimp, and WordPress is preferred
- Proficient in English (speaking and typing)
- Proficiency in S’gaw Karen, Pwo Karen, or Karenni, and the ability to type in Karen are beneficial, but not required
- Some knowledge of the Karen community is beneficial
- Video making skills are beneficial, but not required
To apply, please fill out our online volunteer application and submit a résumé, a one-page writing sample*, and a design sample** in your application. You may also email or mail your documents to:
Suzanne Olive, Volunteer Coordinator
Address: Karen Organization of Minnesota
2353 Rice St., Suite 240
Roseville, MN 55113
*Writing sample should be one-page pulled from a finished essay, story, project, or other written work. You do not need to write a new piece for our application.
**Design samples should be submitted as a JPG, PNG, or PDF, created by the applicant, and can be of any subject. Examples of a design sample: flyer, brochure, postcard, social media graphic, poster, etc. You do not need to create a new design for our application, but can submit one you have already created.