Thank you for your interest in joining our team. Please find our current job openings below. Click on the job title for more details about the position and how to apply.
The Karen Organization of Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Van Driver (Bilingual Karen/English)
Reports to: Program Manager
Status: Part time (25hrs /week)
Salary: $13.00-$15.00/hr. DOQ
Scheduling: Monday-Friday 7:45-10:15AM and 1:00-3:30PM
Posting Close Date: Oct 15, 2019
The Karen Organization of Minnesota (KOM) is the first social services organization in the country established by and for refugees from Burma. KOM serves over 2,000 people per year with programs in employment, social services, community health education, and youth development. KOM also provides walk-in services to over 2,500 people per year to address needs that are not being met by other programs. More than 85 percent of KOM’s staff and 50 percent of KOM’s board members are refugees from Burma, giving us a unique ability to provide culturally competent services and understand community needs.
KOM also provides adult ELL classes in partnership with Roseville Adult Basic Education for refugees who are seeking to improve their English language skills. We’re looking for a part-time Driver who is energetic, personable and safe to provide transportation for ELL students. The Driver must enjoy meeting people and be deeply familiar with area nuances, such as back roads and traffic patterns. The Driver must have a clean background check/driving record and driver’s license. The Driver will generally work from 7:45-10:15 a.m. and 1:00-3:30 p.m., but occasional extended hours and weekend hours may be necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete daily maintenance checks on van and notify manager of any issues.
- Pick up and drop off students at various stops on a daily basis.
- Maintain order while ensuring the safety of all passengers.
- Comply with traffic regulations to operate vehicles in a safe and courteous manner.
- Document any mechanical problems with the van.
- Maintain an accurate record of daily mileage.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bilingual proficiency (English/Karen) preferred.
- Valid MN Driver’s License with proof of insurance and good driving record required.
- Minimum 1 year of 12-passenger van driving experience.
- Wide knowledge of traffic laws, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to comply with driver operating procedures.
- Familiarity with traffic and highway safety rules and regulations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Email your resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to Moses Moe, Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Career Development Counselor (Apprentice and Manufacturing Ready Career Pathway)
Status: Full-time with benefits
Salary: $17 to $19 per hour depending on qualifications
Time Commitment: 40 hours/week; primarily afternoon and evening hours Monday-Friday; occasional morning/weekend hours as needed
Reports to: Sara Johnson, Program Manager
The Career Development Counselor will support Minnesotan refugees, immigrants, and other adult students interested in entering a construction industry apprenticeship—a type of employment where the employee/apprentice works and earns a wage while they learn the skills of the job and earns pay increases as they achieve set work and education milestones. The Career Development Counselor will focus their efforts on two key areas: intensive case management that supports participants in achieving their employment goals and community, employer, and union training center outreach and relationship building that increases access to employment opportunities for participants graduating from the program.
- Recruit clients through community outreach, contact with referral partners, and other outreach strategies as necessary to meet enrollment goals
- Complete participant assessments and create career development plans to support their goals and training
- Contact all participants regularly to provide career counseling and support services
- Make referrals to other service providers at KOM and other agencies as appropriate
- Maintain accurate and organized client records in compliance with KOM policies and contract guidelines
- Conduct outreach efforts to build/maintain relationships with employers in the apprenticed trades and increase access to job opportunities for clients
- Assist clients to develop resumes, search for job openings, and secure employment in careers utilizing their credentials
- Provide ongoing support to participants and employers to ensure job retention
Vocational Training Support:
- Work with Adult Basic Education and apprentice training partners to coordinate vocational training programs and pre-apprenticeship classes
- Provide transportation to site visits, training facility tours, and for other activities and appointments as needed
- Co-facilitate lessons on workforce readiness, soft skills, and construction and manufacturing careers
- Provide support services as needed to ensure participants complete trainings and earn certificates
- Attend regular partner meetings to develop programming, plan activities, and monitor outcomes
- Attend weekly KOM staff meetings
- Provide walk-in services for refugees to address needs including translation/interpreting, completing paperwork, and contacting other agencies for referrals and follow-up
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum 2 years of experience in employment services
- Knowledge of workforce development needs and training programs, particularly with respect to apprenticed trades careers. Experience working in the trades is a plus but not required.
- Experience working with refugees or immigrants and diverse cultures
- Knowledge of refugee resettlement issues and services available to refugees in Minnesota
- Ability to take initiative to implement new programming
- Ability to work with partners in diverse sectors
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English required. Proficiency in another language beneficial but not required.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, internet searching, and data entry
- Must pass a criminal background check
- Valid Minnesota Driver’s License with reliable vehicle, proof of insurance, and good driving record. Must be willing to use personal vehicle to provide transportation for clients.
Normal work environment and schedule:
- This position is full-time (40 hours per week) and paid hourly. The Career Development Counselor will primarily work during regular business hours (8:30AM to 5:00PM). Occasional early morning, evening, and weekend hours may be required for appointments, meetings, and special events.
- Regular travel required to off-site education partner, Roseville Adult Learning Center and for appointments with partners and participants. Other activities will be completed in the office.
- Staff will be expected to present themselves in a professional manner and dress according to KOM’s business dress code.
Email a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to Sara Johnson, Program Manager – email@example.com.