Purpose/objective: KOM partners with CAPI to increase civic engagement, especially among Asian Pacific Islander American communities. This is done through voter education and community outreach to make sure everyone who is eligible is registered to vote and to remind eligible voters to get out and vote leading up to election day. Hta Thi Yu Moo is the Civic Engagement Coordinator for KOM.
Key Responsibilities & Time Commitment:
- Reach people by phone at the phone bank location at CAPI’s office to encourage them to register to vote.
- Phone banking in September and October
- 3 hour evening shifts; minimum requirement to commit to 1 shift; 20 shifts available*
- Reach people in person at outreach events to encourage them to register to vote. Opportunity to sign up for shifts to cover longer events.
- Participate in GOTV (Get Out The Vote) activities during the weekend leading up to Election Day.
- Friday, October 29th – Tuesday, November 2nd
- 3 hour shifts in the evening and on the weekend: Friday evening, Saturday & Sunday all day, Monday evening, and Tuesday all day until polling locations close at 8:00pm.*
- 25 shifts available
*Volunteer will be connected with Civic Engagement Coordinator for exact shift schedules and to sign up.
Location: Phone bank at CAPI Headquarters in Brooklyn Center (5930 Brooklyn Boulevard, Brooklyn Center, MN 55429); outreach locations TBD (around the Saint Paul area). Location is subject to change depending on pandemic situation. May become virtual if necessary.
Qualifications: Reliable individuals with good communication skills who have a passion for outreach and civic engagement. Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older. Ability to speak multiple languages, especially languages spoken by Asian American communities in Minnesota (Karen, Karenni, Thai, Hmong, Vietnamese, Lao, etc.) is a plus. KOM can provide transportation if necessary.
Measures: Volunteers are required to log their hours with KOM Civic Engagement Coordinator
Benefits: Volunteers can develop their knowledge of the electoral process within a democratic political system. They also have the opportunity to work with a diverse community, and build their in person and over the phone communication skills.
How to apply/contact: Please complete KOM’s Volunteer Application online or contact Suzanne Olive to receive a paper application. Volunteers will complete an interview and then be connected with the Civic Engagement Coordinator to learn more and sign up for volunteer shifts. Phone banking training is provided at the beginning of each phone banking shift