Reports to: Program Supervisor
Salary Range: $18.00-$21.00/hour depending on qualifications
The Karen Organization of Minnesota (KOM) is seeking a bilingual (Karen-English) professional who is passionate to work with youth facing challenges related to substance abuse, homelessness, mental health, and family issues. The Youth Case Manager will work alongside KOM’s Youth Health Educator, community leaders, parents, youth, and partner organizations. The Youth Case Manager will provide coordinated services to help youth from Burma in Minnesota connect to treatment, stable housing, and community.
This is a full-time position offering benefits including health insurance, life insurance, short-term disability insurance, 10 paid holidays, and paid time off. The Karen Organization of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a welcoming, collaborative, and supportive work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
In collaboration with other team members, the Youth Case Manager will:
- Conduct outreach to identify at-risk youth with concerns related to substance use, mental health, homelessness, and/or family problems.
- Complete intake and assessment to determine participants’ needs and goals.
- Conduct warm referrals to relevant programs within and outside of KOM.
- Provide case management in coordination with parents, school social workers, juvenile courts and probation, chemical and mental health treatment programs, and other relevant service providers.
- Communicate with each enrolled youth at least weekly to monitor the progress on their goals and address their challenges.
- Support families of enrolled youth, including assisting them to access resources, interpreting, and transportation.
- Participate in meetings with youth leaders, community leaders, and other partners to coordinate prevention and intervention activities.
- Track participants activities and outcomes in KOM’s client database in accordance with funder requirements and KOM data privacy policies.
- Able to speak fluently in English and S’gaw Karen. Additional language abilities (i.e. Pwo Karen, Karenni, Burmese, Chin, Mon, Thai) are a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, human services or related field; or at least two years of experience
providing case management to youth and families with complex needs.
- Competency using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint & database applications.
- Valid Minnesota Driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Active involvement in the Karen community and ability to connect with community members.
- Passion for working with at-risk youth and using motivational skills to help them accomplish their goals
- Strong problem-solving abilities and discernment in responding to personal and systemic challenges faced by clients
- Ability to advocate on behalf of clients to overcome barriers to accessing services
- Strong communication skills to facilitate constructive conversation between youth, parents, and various service providers
- Knowledge and familiarity with programs, services, and resources for youth at-risk in Minnesota
- Comfort with giving public presentations in Karen and/or English regarding drugs and alcohol
- Experience maintaining case files and ensuring data privacy
- Flexibility to adapt plans based on feedback from partners and community members
- Strong people skills across class, religion, culture, age, and gender
Email your resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to Moses Moe, Program Director, at email@example.com. Position open until filled.