Status: Full-time with benefits
Salary: $18.00 to $21.00 per hour depending on qualifications
Benefits: Health insurance (100% of premium covered for employee), life insurance, short-term disability insurance, approx. 180 hours/year of paid time off, 10 paid holidays, and regular employer-paid training opportunities.
Time Commitment: 40 hours/week; Monday-Friday 8:30AM-5:00PM; evening hours as needed;
Location: Hybrid between office/remote sites in twin cities metro and virtually from home
Reports to: Laymu John, Program Manager
The Karen Organization of Minnesota seeks a bilingual (Karen/English or Spanish/English) professional who is passionate about helping immigrants from all over the world navigate the evolving stages of resettlement to join our team as a Social Services Coordinator.
The Coordinator will conduct outreach and recruit eligible participants living in the Seven County Metro area working in close coordination with a network of providers to find and assist immigrants with a wide range of statuses (refugees/asylees, parolees, DACA, SIV, TPS, etc) resettling in Minnesota.
The Social Service Coordinator will work with these participants under two programs; 1) new arrival social services ranging from reading mail to navigating and accessing basic needs services and 2) assisting families struggling with housing security find resources and long-term housing solutions.
The Coordinator will use assessment tools to provide tailored case management services for families and connect them to the resources and supports they need. All services the Coordinator provides will be documented across multiple databases. The Social Service Coordinator will be highly accessible to community by staffing consistent weekly walk-in hours at KOM and partner agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete intake and assessment to develop a service plan in partnership with participants
- Provide referrals, case management, transportation, and interpreting to ensure clients access employment services, housing, health insurance, immigration, legal services, childcare, adult English language classes, community-based social support networks, and other basic needs.
- Research and keep up to date with resources and eligibility criteria
- Regularly contact and meet with clients at locations convenient to them to monitor progress and address emerging concerns
- Maintain detailed client files and case notes documenting activities in secure online databases
- Participate in regular staff and program meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- Bilingual proficiency in either English/Karen or English/Spanish required
- Experience in case management, human services, or refugee resettlement
- Frequent driving required for the position. Mileage will be reimbursed at federal rate. Valid MN Driver’s License with proof of insurance and good driving record required. Must be able and willing to use personal vehicle to transport clients
- Proven ability to make connections and build relationships with refugee communities and diverse individuals
Preferred Qualifications (Any applicant demonstrating the skills needed to do the work outlined above will be considered for this position):
- Demonstrated knowledge of emergency, transitional, and affordable housing resources
- Background or education in social work
- Competency using MS Office, internet, and database applications for writing, record keeping, reporting, and research
- Knowledge and familiarity with community services and resources in the Twin Cities metro area
- Understanding of data privacy practices and ability to maintain confidentiality
COVID Protocols: KOM requires employees to be vaccinated as a condition of employment, subject to reasonable accommodation required by law. All vaccination doses must have been received at least fourteen days prior to starting employment. KOM requires and provides masks, social distancing, sanitizes common services regularly and is currently open to in-person services to vaccinated clients. As roles and responsibilities allow, most staff are working a hybrid schedule with some days in the office and some days work from home to allow for appropriate social distancing while working at KOM sites. Hybrid work arrangements is subject to change based on KOM’s protocols, the needs of specific roles, and the needs of those that KOM serves.
Email your resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to Sara Johnson, Program Director, at email@example.com.